domenica 28 febbraio 2010

Life in Rome



The majority of this blog has been dedicated to our trips around Northern Italy, and I haven't said much about Rome. So I thought I should at least say a few things about the beautiful city I'm living in!

Every week in history class, we go to a different spot in Rome, and learn about ancient Roman and Renaissance history. We visited the Roman Fora, Campus Martius, the Pantheon, Villa Farnesina, and Villa Borghese. Bernini's sculptures in the Borghese gallery were breath taking; although not quite as big, they sure give the David a run for its money. My favorite sculpture was Apollo and Daphne. The sculpture depicts the moment Apollo captures Daphne, but Daphne is already turning into a tree, escaping his grasp. On days that we aren't designing or drawing in our studio class, we usually use the time to go tour and analyze different aspects of the city. Even in our Italian class we've ventured out to the markets of Campo de Fiori to converse with people, and find out what fruits and vegetables are in season. And of course our sketching class is met at different locations in the city. Two weeks ago we drew a one-point perspective inside the Ara Pacis museum. So a big part of our class hours are actually spent IN the city, and not in a classroom!

This past weekend, we spent our time wandering around the city, with the beautiful weather we've had. Rome is full of such lively character; we saw mimes, artists, dancers, and musicians lining the streets and piazzas. Today, I went to mass at the San Silvestro church. It was quite a different feeling then going to mass back home. The interior of the church is spectacular, so much to look at! Tonight we're all going out to watch the final mens Olympic hockey game, Canada vs. USA. GO USA! We only have one more week in Rome until our Spring Break, and I'm going to Croatia! It's the first time I'll be traveling without our instructors, Vyt and Marina, so I'm hoping our group will make it there and backin one piece. I'm sure we'll have an amazing time. I'll be sure to add pictures when I get back!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento